List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:January 14 2002 9:35pm
Subject:Re: Strange REVOKE problem...
View as plain text
At 13:05 -0800 1/14/02, Jeremy Zawodny wrote:
>This doesn't make sense to me.  And reading the manual doesn't really
>clear up why it doesn't work:
>
>---snip---
>
>mysql> show grants for yahoo;
>+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
>| Grants for yahoo@%
>|
>+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
>| GRANT SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, CREATE, DROP, RELOAD, PROCESS,
>FILE, REFERENCE, INDEX, ALTER ON *.* TO 'yahoo'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY
>PASSWORD '4c48ca8b65e5ce53' |
>+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
>1 rows in set (0.00 sec)
>
>mysql> revoke UPDATE on mysql.* from 'yahoo';
>ERROR 1141: There is no such grant defined for user 'yahoo' on host '%'
>
>---snip---
>
>What IS the right syntax for revoking a single privilege on a single
>database once a user has global permissions?

What would that mean, exactly?

>Hopefully I'm just missing something really obvious...

I suspect it's just a hard thing to implement:

If someone creates a new database after you revoke the UPDATE privilege,
should the user be able to update that database?

- You can say "yes", on the basis that you initially specified global
   privileges and haven't revoked them except for a single database.
- You can say "no", on the basis that in order to implement the REVOKE
   you'd have to convert the global privileges into specific privileges
   on all the databases that happen to exist at the time of the revoke.

>Jeremy
>--
>Jeremy D. Zawodny, <jzawodn@stripped>
>Technical Yahoo - Yahoo Finance
>Desk: (408) 349-7878   Fax: (408) 349-5454   Cell: (408) 685-5936
>
>MySQL 3.23.41-max: up 11 days, processed 273,313,832 queries (265/sec. avg)

Thread
Strange REVOKE problem...Jeremy Zawodny14 Jan
  • Re: Strange REVOKE problem...Paul DuBois14 Jan
    • Re: Strange REVOKE problem...Jeremy Zawodny14 Jan