List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Aaron Brick Date:January 14 2002 7:52pm
Subject:Re: Database Size Limit
View as plain text
in specific reference to linux, you are speaking of the 2.4 kernel, glibc
2.2, and ext{2,3} filesystem? is it the case that large files are correctly
addressed (ie, seamlessly) on such systems? this is the impression i have
got from the limited research i've done.

looking for a generalized solution,

aaron.

so said benjamin@stripped in 2.0K bytes at Sun, Jan 13, 2002:

> The size limitation is becauseof the operating system parameters.  In
> order to use tables larger then 3 GB, use either Redhat 7.2 or Solaris 8.
> These operating systems allow file sizes greater then 2 GB.  For the most
> part I achievedtables sizes using these operating system of greater the 50
> GB.
>
> Benjamin Arai
> benjamin@stripped
>
> On Fri, 11 Jan 2002, Demirchyan Oganes-AOD098 wrote:
>
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I guess I have the similar question, that has been brought up.
> >
> > I have 36 InnoDB tables, and I have allocated two 2GB partitions for my data.
> >
> > Provided I have very big hard drive, how many partitions at 2GB each could I
> allocate?  As many as my hard drive can handle?
> >
> > I also have questions with regards, to a table size.  In my case it will be
> (4GB)/36 bytes per table?  Is it distributed uniformly, or some tables can grow bigger on
> the expense of the others (if some only have limited data, and others keep having new data
> inserted into them).
> >
> > Sincerely,
> >
> > Oganes Demirchyan
> > Motorola Life Science
> > 757 S.Raymond
> > Pasadena, CA  91105
> > Tel: 626-584-5900
> > email: Oganes.Demirchyan@stripped

               /                                                \
              |   Aaron Brick                 (415) 206 - 4685   |
              |   brick@stripped         Room 3501C, SFGH   |

                  Programmer Analyst, Functional Genomics Core
                   Sandler Center for Basic Research in Asthma
                   Lung Biology Center, Department of Medicine
                                San Francisco General Hospital
                       University of California, San Francisco
Thread
Database Size LimitManish Mehta11 Jan
  • Re: Database Size LimitDan Nelson11 Jan
    • Re: Database Size LimitJames Montebello11 Jan
      • Re: Database Size LimitAaron Brick11 Jan
        • Re: Database Size LimitJames Montebello11 Jan
          • Re: Database Size LimitBenjamin Arai13 Jan
Re: Database Size LimitDemirchyan Oganes-AOD09811 Jan
  • Re: Database Size LimitBenjamin Arai13 Jan
    • Re: Database Size LimitAaron Brick14 Jan
      • Re: Database Size LimitJeremy Zawodny17 Jan
Re: Database Size LimitHeikki Tuuri13 Jan