List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sasha Pachev Date:August 7 1999 9:35pm
Subject:Re: Wierdness in MySQL on a Slackware system - Followup
View as plain text
Richard Whittaker wrote:

> Greetings all!!
>
> I have a followup to my previous post...
>
> My client system now reports the following:
>
> [root@ganges bin]# ./mysql --host=192.168.3.60 --user=rwhittak
> ERROR 1130: Host '' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server
> [root@ganges bin]#
>
> Help?.. Please?..
>
> Thanks,
> Richard

This could actually be the reason why mod_auth_mysql is not working for
you. It appears that mysqld is trying a reverse DNS lookup on the IP
address you are connecting from and it does not resolve into anything.
In the meantime, mysqld is configured to allow connections only from
certain hosts and relies on reverse DNS lookup. Fix your DNS, and make
sure your privilige system is configred properly.

Monty, I see this problem on the average about once a week. Maybe we
should put this in the manual.

--
Sasha Pachev
http://www.sashanet.com