List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:James Montebello Date:January 11 2002 7:06pm
Subject:Re: Database Size Limit
View as plain text
On Thu, 10 Jan 2002, Dan Nelson wrote:

> In the last episode (Jan 11), Manish Mehta said:
> > As we know that MySql support maximum of 4 GB data per table.
>
> Actually, http://www.mysql.com/doc/T/a/Table_size.html says that only
> Mysql 3.22 had a 4gb table size.  With 3.23, the real limit is how big
> a file your OS can handle.

Yes and no.  With 3.23, the MyISAM format will, by default, have a 4GB
limit (32 bits).  You can set flags on the table to allow a 64-bit table,
and you'll generally hit an OS or physical limitation long before you
run out of space.  The downside of the 64-bit version is it's considerably
slower.  Better to split large datasets up into sub-4GB units.

james montebello

Thread
Database Size LimitManish Mehta11 Jan
  • Re: Database Size LimitDan Nelson11 Jan
    • Re: Database Size LimitJames Montebello11 Jan
      • Re: Database Size LimitAaron Brick11 Jan
        • Re: Database Size LimitJames Montebello11 Jan
          • Re: Database Size LimitBenjamin Arai13 Jan
Re: Database Size LimitDemirchyan Oganes-AOD09811 Jan
  • Re: Database Size LimitBenjamin Arai13 Jan
    • Re: Database Size LimitAaron Brick14 Jan
      • Re: Database Size LimitJeremy Zawodny17 Jan
Re: Database Size LimitHeikki Tuuri13 Jan