List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Derick H Siddoway Date:March 25 1999 3:53pm
Subject:Re: Extracting a given row using Perl API
View as plain text
What you probably want to do is something like this:

	my $sth = $dbh->prepare("SELECT first,last,phone FROM $table WHERE
	phone_book.last='$FOO'");

OR store the value in $FOO like this

	$FOO = "'Blow'";

You're not storing the single quotes into $FOO unless you're very
specific about it -- because perl is so forgiving about which quotes
you use.  When you say

	$FOO = 'Blow';

perl assumes that you're storing the string "Blow" into the scalar
variable.

My preference is to put the single quotes into the squeel statement
instead of in the string because mnemonically it makes more sense
to me -- it's a squeel thing, so it should go in the squeel statement.

<ponder ponder> I guess I should note that I pronounce SQL as
"squeel" instead of the insidious "sequel" on purpose.

--
derick