List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Gerald Clark Date:January 10 2002 2:48pm
Subject:Re: setting root psswd on Win2K ??
View as plain text
However,  you are running WIN2K, not unix as i assumed in my previous post.
There still must be some default user which apparently has full privileges.

Bryan Capitano wrote:

>Having some problems setting root password on MySQL. Can anybody help
>me?
>
>I've just installed MySQL 3.23.38 on a Windows 2000 server.
>I'm following the directions in the documenation for setting the root
>password:
>
>>mysql -u root mysql
>>
>mysql>UPDATE user
>mysql>SET password=password('mynewpass')
>mysql>WHERE user='root';
>mysql>FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
>
>okay, all seemed fine. now if I log out and log back as pain old nobody:
>
>>mysql
>>
>mysql>use mysql;
>mysql>drop table user;
>okay 1 table affected.................
>
>How come just anybody can log into my MySQL server and start dropping
>tables
>in the mysql database?? This shouldn't be right. What have I done wrong?
>
>Either I have a serious mis-understanding or something is seriously not
>right here.
>
>Thanks for any help!

setting root psswd on Win2K ??Bryan Capitano10 Jan
  • Re: setting root psswd on Win2K ??Gerald Clark10 Jan
    • RE: setting root psswd on Win2K ??Todd Williamsen10 Jan
  • Re: setting root psswd on Win2K ??Gerald Clark10 Jan
  • Changing root passwordJay Paulson15 Jan
  • Re: Changing root passwordGerald Clark16 Jan
Re: setting root psswd on Win2K ??Bryan Capitano10 Jan
RE: Changing root passwordGary.Every16 Jan
Re: Changing root passwordRichard Ward16 Jan
Re: Changing root passwordRichard Ward16 Jan