List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Thimble Smith Date:August 6 1999 11:30pm
Subject:Re: INSERT help for a beginner.
View as plain text
At 16:08, 19990806, Z Mehta wrote:
>I am trying to INSERT form information into my table, but my form only
>adds information into some of the fields.
>
>The command should look something like this:
>
> INSERT [LOW_PRIORITY | DELAYED] [IGNORE]
>        [INTO] tbl_name
>        SET col_name=expression, col_name=expression, ...

I think you want something like this:

INSERT INTO tbl_name (col_name_A, col_name_B)
VALUES (expression_A, expression_B)

The other columns will be given their default values.

>I tried this but it didn't work because I think I set my database up
>wrong.  Can anyone step me through this process.

It would be very helpful for you to give the following information:

    How is your database set up?
        (Show us the output of 'mysqldump -d dbname'.)
    What exactly did you try, and what exactly happened when you
    tried it?
        (Cut and past the entire 'mysql' session showing what you
         did.)
    What software are you using, on what platform?
        (Show us the output of the 'mysqlbug' program.)
    What are you trying to do?
        (The description you gave above is not detailed enough.  If
         you are having trouble with the English language, then show
         us more examples of what you have tried.)

>Thanks.

We like to help, but we need you to help us, too!

Tim
Thread
INSERT help for a beginner.Z Mehta7 Aug
  • Re: INSERT help for a beginner.Thimble Smith7 Aug