List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Christian Mack Date:August 6 1999 7:50pm
Subject:Re: change Password
View as plain text
Lance wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>   I am a new user of mysql.  I installed mysql on Win98 but when I used
> mysqladmin to change password, it show the following error message.  Anyone
> can tell me what happen.  Ther version is 3.21.29a
>
>    C:\mysql\bin>mysqladmin password abcdefg
>    C:\MYSQL\BIN\MYSQLA~1.EXE: unable to change password; error: 'parse error
> near '
>    SQL_OPTION password='119c8e0309e5f671'' at line 1'
>
> Lance

Hi Lance

Sorry, but with 3.21.xx you can't do that.
This syntax was introduces somewhere in 3.22.xx.

With 3.21.xx you have to manipulate the mysql.* priviledge tables by hand with:
C:\mysql\bin> mysql -uroot mysql
mysql> UPDATE user SET Password=PASSWORD('abcdefg') WHERE User='root';
mysql> quit
C:\mysql\bin> mysqladmin reload

After this you can connect as root to mysql with password abcdefg.

Tschau
Christian

Thread
change PasswordLance6 Aug
  • Re: change PasswordChristian Mack6 Aug
  • change PasswordMichael Widenius7 Aug