List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:January 5 2002 1:19am
Subject:Re: OK - Simple Timestamps problem getting the better of me!
View as plain text
My response below is incorrect, with regard to the NULL behavior.  MySQL
will insert the current time and date for a TIMESTAMP only for the first
column *if* you omit the columns from the INSERT statement.  If you set
the column to NULL explicitly, MySQL should set any TIMESTAMP to the current
date and time.  Dunno why that doesn't work for David, it works for me.

Thanks to BD for pointing out my brain-lapse. :-)

At 18:45 -0600 1/4/02, Paul DuBois wrote:
>At 23:41 +0000 1/4/02, David Ayliffe wrote:
>>I have created a test table with:
>>
>>CREATE TABLE TimeTest (
>>Time1 TIMESTAMP(4),
>>Time2 TIMESTAMP(8),
>>Time3 TIMESTAMP(10),
>>Time4 TIMESTAMP(12),
>>Time5 TIMESTAMP(14));
>>
>>This works fine!  No problemo
>>
>>Now ALL I am trying to do is insert the current time and date into each
>>field in the table!!  That's all.
>>I'm not new to MySQL or its operation but this has really got the better
>>of me.  Maybe its because its 11:40PM after a day of work but can
>>someone please tell me how I can insert a row of current time and date
>>into a table with different column definitions!
>>
>>I have tried:
>>INSERT INTO TimeTest (NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL);
>>
>>I have tried NOW, 'NULL'.
>
>NOW() would work better than NOW.
>
>NULL will insert the current date and time only into the *first*
>TIMESTAMP column.
>
>http://www.mysql.com/doc/D/A/DATETIME.html
>

>>Please
>>

>>Thanks
>>DA

Thread
OK - Simple Timestamps problem getting the better of me!David Ayliffe5 Jan
  • Re: OK - Simple Timestamps problem getting the better of me!Bogdan Stancescu5 Jan
    • RE: OK - Simple Timestamps problem getting the better of me!David Ayliffe5 Jan
      • Re: OK - Simple Timestamps problem getting the better of me!Bogdan Stancescu5 Jan
  • Re: OK - Simple Timestamps problem getting the better of me!Paul DuBois5 Jan
    • Re: OK - Simple Timestamps problem getting the better of me!Paul DuBois5 Jan
  • Re: OK - Simple Timestamps problem getting the better of me!DL Neil5 Jan