List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:jonathan michaels Date:August 6 1999 11:36am
Subject:Re: Full text search
View as plain text
On Thu, Aug 05, 1999 at 10:54:06PM -0400, Daniel Koch wrote:
> Thimble Smith wrote:
>
> > At 08:46, 19990806, abu wrote:
> > >Someone ask me (linux ug indonesia) about full-text search in text field
> > >on mysql, is there feature on new release or how ? Please give me some
> > >tips.
> >
> > There was talk a long time ago about a full-text indexing solution
> > for MySQL.  It was waiting for the release of MySQL 3.23, which has
> > now happened.  But I have not heard anything about it for quite some
> > time.  Nor have I heard anything from the person who was going to be
> > implementing it (SerG).  So it may be in the works, or it may be dead
> > in the water.
> >
> > I don't see any mention of it on the TODO list, so I don't know if it
> > is still a planned project or not.
> >
> > Tim
> >

> I recently uploaded DBIx::TextIndex to CPAN, which perl users may find
> useful for full-text indexing.  It does multi-column inverted indexes, with
> boolean searching and relevancy scoring.

a question if i might.

how does this (and the like) compare to a real text search
engine, wais ?

i've been trying to work out how to implement a text file
repositry, er text database and web searching facility on a few
documents that total some 4 gb of sundry, various text and a
few graphics files and some the texts have been converted to
sound format files so that they can be played by sight impaird
users in lieu of 'reading' the text file as displayed on the
console.

as wais server (developemnt and repairing) are going out of
favour, in teh face of this entrancement that most people have
with (most in apropriate tools like) sql databse technology.
this is why i am looking at trying to use mysql for a task that
no rdbms is built to handle well, if at all.

i no longer have teh skill or the ability to do this in basic (or
rexx), so i have to find an already (semi) rolled solution.

regrds, thanks in advance.

jonathan

Jonathan Michaels
PO Box 144, Rosebery, NSW 1445 Australia

Thread
Full text searchabu6 Aug
  • Re: Full text searchThimble Smith6 Aug
    • Re: Full text searchMichael Widenius6 Aug
  • Re: Full text searchDaniel Koch6 Aug
    • Re: Full text searchjonathan michaels6 Aug
  • Re: Full text searchDaniel Koch6 Aug