List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Robert Alexander Date:December 30 2001 9:29pm
Subject:Re: MySQL RPM Install Problem - Ignorance
View as plain text
At 14:37 -0600 2001/12/30, DWilliams wrote:
>Robert,
>
>Thanks for the tips...
>
>>>1. create a symlink at /var/lib/mysql that points to your data
> directory<<
>
>I had read that this was not the best way prior to v4.0, something about an
>"alter table" statement might ignore the symlink?

I've used symlinks a lot and have never had any problems.  I usually just install the
binary distro, and symlink from /usr/local/mysal/data -> my/data/location.

>>>2. you can change or add the 'datadir' variable in your my.cnf file
>(usually /etc/my.cnf) see:<<
>
>I apparently don't have a 'my.cnf' file after install...I found the
>following in /usr/share/mysql/:
>
>my-huge.cnf
>my-large.cnf
>my-medium.cnf
>my-small.cnf
>
>I guess these are example my.cnf files to use...If so, the next question
>which is the appropriate/best type?

Just open them up in an editor and read what it says at the top.  Then copy the one you
want to /etc/my.cnf

>I guess whatever choice should be
>renamed and located as 'my.cnf' in /var/lib/mysql directory?  I'm assuming
>the server on start-up reads this file and overrides compiled commands.

Not in the data dir.  You're telling it where to *look* for the data, right?  This would
be your global settings and goes into /etc/my.cnf.

>Which section does the 'datadir=path/to/data/' command go...to the [mysqld]
>section?

Yup.

>There is no mention of this command on:
>http://www.mysql.com/doc/O/p/Option_files.html

In a browser, open up the manual that came with your distro and do a search for 'my.cnf'
Lots o' good stuff...  :>

>>>3. you can specify the data directory location as a configure option
>before compiling.<<
>
>Eventually, I will learn how to do this...but I opted for the RPM instead.
>I guess that is why I have these sort of configuration difficulties.
>
>Thanks again,
>Dennis Williams

Regards,
/Rob