List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:August 5 1999 11:44am
Subject:Re: windows vs linux vs other os versions of MySQL
View as plain text
At 1:13 PM +0200 8/5/99, Christian Mack wrote:
>Daniel Curry wrote:
>>
>> I have need of sharing multiple ds across at least 3 different MySQL
>> supported platforms.  Is MySQL sofisticated enough to 'link' to tables in
>> another MySQL db on a different platform?
>>
>> ie, if I run a query against an NT db server that requires data from the db
>> server sitting on the solaris db server, can I 'cross-link' the db's to
>> include the tables from the other system?
>
>Hi Daniel
>
>Sorry, but this is not possible (and I don't see anything like this
>on the TODO).
>
>The only way you can get this functionality is to have all involved
>databases on all platforms.

It's not possible with MySQL directly.  If you use something like the
Perl DBI module, you can write Perl scripts that access multiple databases,
even on different hosts.

PHP (and probably other APIs) can do this as well.  However, PHP is
less suitable for this sort of this because the function calls for
each supported database tend to look like the underlying C API for
the database.  With DBI, the access methods are the same for every
database.

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Thread