List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Thimble Smith Date:August 5 1999 12:27am
Subject:Re: LIKE operator
View as plain text
At 19:49, 19990804, toxalot@stripped wrote:
>I read up on it and there doesn't seem to be a way to ignore case like you
>can with perl.  It explains how to match the lower or uper case version.
>Does that mean that I will have to manually alter the keyword that the user
>enters into my text box to be any mix of upper and lower case?  Or is there
>a way around this?

If case isn't going to be important, I'd recommend storing the text in
the database all in lower case, and converting the words the user enters
to lower case before doing the search.  Or, you can use something like:

    SELECT id FROM table_name WHERE LCASE(field) REGEXP "[[:<:]]word[[:>:]]"

Tim
Thread
LIKE operatortoxalot4 Aug
  • Re: LIKE operatorThimble Smith4 Aug