List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:November 26 2001 10:15pm
Subject:Re: GRANT'ing for localhost and %
View as plain text
At 4:44 PM -0500 11/26/01, fwhipple@stripped wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>This question should be, and probably is in, the FAQ -- but either the
>FAQ or my fonts are hosed and I couldn't read the FAQ very well at all.
>Apologies up front if it's in there.
>
>I'm trying to figure out a graceful way to allow a user account access
>to a DB from both 'localhost' as well as off-host ('%') without having 2
>separate entries for the user in the 'mysql.user' table.  I'm trying to
>do this as, inevidably, a user will not keep their passwords
>(user@localhost and user@%) in sync. and they're not necessarily skilled
>at understanding they have 2 DB accounts with 2 separate passwords.
>
>I would tend to think that granting access to user@'%' would also allow
>connections from localhost, but apparently this is not so.  I'm working
>with MySQL 3.23.36, Red Hat Linux 7.1.  And yes BTW -- my /etc/hosts is
>setup properly :-)
>
>TIA,
>
>	-Fred

If you have user table entries with a blank User column, delete them
and issue a FLUSH PRIVILEGES statement.

But note that % as a Host value is insecure.  If possible, it's better
to at least limit it to %.domain.name.
Thread
GRANT'ing for localhost and %fwhipple26 Nov
  • Re: GRANT'ing for localhost and %Paul DuBois26 Nov
RE: GRANT'ing for localhost and %Christopher Book26 Nov