List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:William R. Mussatto Date:November 20 2001 4:56pm
Subject:Re: MySQL and encryption
View as plain text
On Tue, 20 Nov 2001, Ken Kinder wrote:

> Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 08:41:20 -0700
> From: Ken Kinder <ken@stripped>
> To: Thomas Kotze` <thomask@stripped>, mysql@stripped
> Subject: Re: MySQL and encryption
>
> I would like to know if anyone has some advice on encrypting credit cards
> myself, as it's something I'm going to be needing to look into for my own
> purposes.
I've used the Crypt::CBC
process in perl.
One thing to remember, if you expose the kind of credit card (e.g.,
discover) in another column then at least the 1st digit if not the first
four digits are known so breaking it is not impossible; however, with a
truely random key and a cypher system like twofish or blowfish you should
be relatively safe.  Of course if they completely hack the box its a lost
cause since they can find both the code which specifies the method and
the key.

> On Tuesday 20 November 2001 01:30 am, Thomas Kotze` wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am new to MySQL and would like to know what encryption capabilities the
> > MySQL database have.
> >

> > Regards
> > Thomas

> > are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify
> > the system manager.
> >
> > This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept by
> > MIMEsweeper for the presence of computer viruses.

Sincerely,

William Mussatto, Senior Systems Engineer
CyberStrategies, Inc
ph. 909-920-9154 ext. 27

Thread
MySQL and encryptionThomas Kotze`20 Nov
  • Re: MySQL and encryptionKen Kinder20 Nov
    • Re: MySQL and encryptionWilliam R. Mussatto20 Nov
      • Re: MySQL and encryptionSergei Golubchik20 Nov
        • Re: MySQL and encryptionFletcher Sandbeck20 Nov
    • Re: MySQL and encryptionMichael Widenius21 Nov
      • Query Execution Time Perl/DBDGordan Bobic21 Nov
      • Re: MySQL and encryptionKen Kinder21 Nov
        • Re: MySQL and encryptionMichael Widenius23 Nov
          • Re: MySQL and encryptionKen Kinder26 Nov
  • Re: Query Execution Time Perl/DBDChristian Andersson21 Nov
    • Re: Query Execution Time Perl/DBDMike(mickalo)Blezien21 Nov
    • Re: Query Execution Time Perl/DBDGordan Bobic21 Nov