List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dan Nelson Date:November 17 2001 4:01am
Subject:Re: MySQL on FreeBSD Dual CPU machine
View as plain text
In the last episode (Nov 16), Philip Mak said:
> I have a FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE machine with two CPUs running
> mysql-3.23.44. I'm wondering about how to make MySQL use both CPUs.
> Am I correct in saying:
>
> 1. The binary distribution of MySQL for FreeBSD from www.mysql.com
> does not make use of both CPUs.

Probably.  If, when you run "ldd /usr/local/libexec/mysqld", you see a
line for libc_r, you're using userland threads (one CPU).

> 2. The only way to make MySQL use both CPUs on FreeBSD is to compile
> it using LinuxThreads.
>
> Where can I find instructions for compiling MySQL on LinuxThreads?
> I've searched around the mailing list but have not been able to find
> a comprehensive set of instructions. I tried copying some of the
> examples of people compiling with LinuxThreads, but didn't succeed.

If you have the FreeBSD ports tree installed, you can cd into
/usr/ports/databases/mysql323-server, and run "make
WITH_LINUXTHREADS=YES install" to build mysql with Linuxthreads
instead of user-threads.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@stripped