List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Albert Date:March 24 1999 5:38pm
Subject:DBI - basic question
View as plain text
Hi All,
I am a newbee with SQL  just getting my feet wet with it.  I
have a few questions.

I have data that will take about 30,000 rows.   If I throw
it all into one table will my performance suffer alot?

Also I am not able to make a connection to my database using
DBI
here is the snippet of code I am using to connect, can
anyone see what is wrong with it?

The error I get is Can't connect to MySQL server on
localhost (61)
my isp has the mysql servers on dedicated machines.  So I
don't think the hostname is localhost?
#!/usr/local/bin/perl5 -w

  print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";

 use DBI;
$drh = DBI->install_driver( 'mysql' );
$dbh = $drh->connect(
'hostname','databasename','myusername','mypassowrd' ) ;
 print "Cannot connect: $DBI::errstr\n"  unless $dbh;
$dbh->disconnect;
 exit;

Thanks for all the help!!
Albert

Thread
DBI - basic questionAlbert24 Mar
  • Re: DBI - basic questionColin McKinnon25 Mar
  • Re: Replication Bug in 3.23.33Sasha Pachev14 Feb
Re: Replication Bug in 3.23.33Sasha Pachev14 Feb