List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:August 2 1999 11:48am
Subject:Re: How to see warnings...
View as plain text

sinisa> Robin Bowes writes:
>> Paul DuBois wrote:

>> [snip]

>> > I don't know about that.  Suppose you're importing data with date values,
>> > and the date format is different than what MySQL expects.  Okay, so
>> > the file gets read in and you have a bunch of warnings.  In fact, what
>> > I may have is a date column full of "0000-00-00" values.
>> >
>> > Not serious?  I guess I'd say warnings are something to pay attention to.
>> > Unfortunately, it's difficult to determine the cause of the warnings.
>>
>> I'm with Paul here.  When I do a data import, I want to make sure it is
>> absolutely clean.  That is, I need to know exactly what is going on.  If
>> there are errors or warnings I want to know why and fix them so I don't
>> get them.
>>
>> Surely, the convention is to dump warnings and errors to stderr?  Why
>> can't the mysql client do that?  wouldn't take much coding to open a
>> pipe to stderr and dump each warning message, would it?
>>
>> R.

sinisa> Hi!

sinisa> Mysql client can not do that because ALL of it is happening in the
sinisa> server. That is why it is so fast. The only time mysql client is doing
sinisa> anything is when LOCAL attribute is specified for the file.

Hi!

Sinisa is right here;  The problem is how to get the warnings to the
client.  The ERROR table is the best idea I have seen so far;  The
other possibility would be to implement something like what ODBC has:
One could call mysql_error() repeatedly to get all errors.  The
problem with this is that this is much harder to do use in a mysql
client (for the end user).

Regards,
Monty
Thread
How to see warnings...Robin Bowes26 Jul
  • How to see warnings...sinisa26 Jul
    • Re: How to see warnings...Martin Ramsch26 Jul
      • Re: How to see warnings...()27 Jul
        • Re: How to see warnings...Thimble Smith27 Jul
          • Re: How to see warnings...sinisa27 Jul
            • Re: How to see warnings...Thimble Smith27 Jul
              • Logging...Chris J. DiBona27 Jul
        • Re: How to see warnings...Martin Ramsch27 Jul
    • Re: How to see warnings...Paul DuBois26 Jul
  • Re: How to see warnings...Robin Bowes27 Jul
    • Re: How to see warnings...sinisa27 Jul
      • Re: How to see warnings...Michael Widenius2 Aug
Re: How to see warnings...David Kaufman26 Jul