List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:November 9 2001 9:41pm
Subject:Re: New fork of MySQL
View as plain text
At 7:45 PM +0000 11/9/01, Carl Troein wrote:
>Shankar Unni writes:
>
>>  What are the rules about "bundling" now? If we distribute a (standalone)
>>  copy of MySQL with our product, does that expose our product to the GPL? Or
>>  is it just like distributing a copy of Emacs with your OS? (I.e. as long as
>>  you make the source available, it doesn't automatically GPL the rest of
>>  your OS?)
>>
>>  What if the product is designed to work with many databases, but we want to
>>  distribute MySQL only as a "default database" (i.e. it doesn't depend on
>>  MySQL for its functionality - it's merely a convenience)? Does that change
>>  the GPL liability on our product?
>>
>>  Who can answer these questions?
>
>I believe the GPL FAQ tries to address these questions:
>http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#MereAggregation
>
>Specifically, this may be of interest to you:
>"By contrast, pipes, sockets and command-line arguments are
>communication mechanisms normally used between two separate
>programs. So when they are used for communication, the
>modules normally are separate programs."

Compare that with this section of the manual:

http://www.mysql.com/doc/U/s/Using_the_MySQL_server_under_a_commercial_license.html

Which says:

When you distribute a non-GPL application that ONLY works with the MySQL
server and ships it with MySQL. This type of solution is actually
considered to be linking even if it's done over a network.

I believe that bit about "even if it's done over the network" was
added sometime around last December. I'm not quite sure what to make
of it, particularly in light of the paragraph from the GPL FAQ.

>//C
>
>--
>  Carl Troein - CÌrdan / Istari-PixelMagic - UIN 16353280
>  carl@stripped | http://pixelmagic.dyndns.org/~cirdan/
>  Amiga user since '89, and damned proud of it too.

Thread
New fork of MySQLDownloadFAST.com9 Nov
  • Re: New fork of MySQLPaul Smith9 Nov
  • Re: New fork of MySQLSteve Meyers9 Nov
    • Re: New fork of MySQLDownloadFAST.com9 Nov
    • Re: New fork of MySQLJason Hall9 Nov
  • Re: New fork of MySQLShankar Unni9 Nov
    • Re: New fork of MySQLCarl Troein9 Nov
      • Re: New fork of MySQLPaul DuBois9 Nov
        • GPL and MySQL (was: New fork of MySQL)Carl Troein10 Nov
    • RE: New fork of MySQLRavi Raman9 Nov
    • Re: New fork of MySQLPaul Smith9 Nov
  • Re: Licensing questionArjen G. Lentz9 Nov
Re: New fork of MySQLDownloadFAST.com9 Nov
  • Re: New fork of MySQLMike Wexler9 Nov
    • Re: New fork of MySQLDownloadFAST.com9 Nov
Re: New fork of MySQLDownloadFAST.com9 Nov
  • Re: New fork of MySQLSteve Meyers9 Nov
    • Re: New fork of MySQLDownloadFAST.com9 Nov
      • Re: New fork of MySQLBen Gollmer9 Nov
        • Re: New fork of MySQLDownloadFAST.com9 Nov
          • Re: New fork of MySQLSteve Meyers9 Nov
      • Re: Active maintenance of 3.23 treeArjen G. Lentz9 Nov
Re: New fork of MySQLDownloadFAST.com9 Nov
  • Still about MySQL ClusterAdy Wicaksono9 Nov
RE: New fork of MySQLKenneth L Wells9 Nov
  • Re: New fork of MySQLCarl Troein9 Nov
  • RE: New fork of MySQLmassey9 Nov