List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:November 8 2001 10:53pm
Subject:Re: varchar in the foodchain
View as plain text
At 5:46 PM -0500 11/8/01, Tony wrote:
>On Thursday 08 November 2001 10:55 am, Paul DuBois wrote:
>>  At 10:00 AM -0500 11/8/01, Tony wrote:
>>  >Does anyone know if putting (or grouping) varchar columns at the end of a
>>  >table provides any performance improvements?  My indices are all integers,
>>  >but not have varchar columns in between several integer columns.
>>
>>  You'll get a speed improvement only if all your columns are fixed length.
>>  Otherwise the table has variable length rows, no matter the placement
>>  of the variable length coluumns.
>>

>So then is the real purpose of using varchars, to save disk space?  ( I
>realize this is probably a general database question, just trying to learn).

Right.
Thread
varchar in the foodchainTony8 Nov
  • Re: varchar in the foodchainPaul DuBois8 Nov
    • Re: varchar in the foodchainTony8 Nov
      • Re: varchar in the foodchainPaul DuBois8 Nov
      • Re: varchar in the foodchainharm9 Nov
        • RE: varchar in the foodchainCarsten H. Pedersen9 Nov
          • Re: varchar in the foodchainharm9 Nov
          • Re: varchar in the foodchainharm9 Nov
          • Re: varchar in the foodchainDL Neil9 Nov
Re: varchar in the foodchainharm9 Nov
  • Re: varchar in the foodchainSteve Meyers9 Nov
    • Re: varchar in the foodchainTony9 Nov