List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:November 8 2001 3:55pm
Subject:Re: varchar in the foodchain
View as plain text
At 10:00 AM -0500 11/8/01, Tony wrote:
>Does anyone know if putting (or grouping) varchar columns at the end of a
>table provides any performance improvements?  My indices are all integers,
>but not have varchar columns in between several integer columns.

You'll get a speed improvement only if all your columns are fixed length.
Otherwise the table has variable length rows, no matter the placement
of the variable length coluumns.

>Just curious, and still looking for a table design performance guide or
>section in the online manual.
>
>bot-trot: table, sql, database

Thread
varchar in the foodchainTony8 Nov
  • Re: varchar in the foodchainPaul DuBois8 Nov
    • Re: varchar in the foodchainTony8 Nov
      • Re: varchar in the foodchainPaul DuBois8 Nov
      • Re: varchar in the foodchainharm9 Nov
        • RE: varchar in the foodchainCarsten H. Pedersen9 Nov
          • Re: varchar in the foodchainharm9 Nov
          • Re: varchar in the foodchainharm9 Nov
          • Re: varchar in the foodchainDL Neil9 Nov
Re: varchar in the foodchainharm9 Nov
  • Re: varchar in the foodchainSteve Meyers9 Nov
    • Re: varchar in the foodchainTony9 Nov