List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martin Ramsch Date:August 2 1999 5:32am
Subject:Re: mod_auth_mysql without a pop-up/login window ? & inner workings ?
View as plain text
On Mo, 1999-08-02 06:53:53 +0900, chas <panda@stripped> wrote:
> Wait, do I understand this correctly - Even after the first
> challenge (ie. once the user has been authenticated), all
> subsequent HTTP requests still result in Apache checking
> the username/password ?

Yes, that's because HTTP is a stateless protocol.
Technically there's no connection between two subsequent request, each
request is a self-contained event in it's own.
So any information that is to last must be passed on from HTTP request
to HTTP request (by the ways of HTTP authentication, cookies, path
information, or GET or POST parameters).

> Doesn't this mean that a single web page with 10 graphics will still
> result in 11 MySQL Apache-to-MySQL queries ?

Yes, I guess so.  But maybe mod_auth_mysql does clever caching of the
authentication data? (I don't know.)

Regards,
  Martin
mod_auth_mysqlHerbert1 Aug
  • mod_auth_mysql without a pop-up/login window ? & innerworkings ?chas2 Aug
    • Re: mod_auth_mysql without a pop-up/login window ? & innerworkings ?Van2 Aug
    • Re: mod_auth_mysql without a pop-up/login window ? & inner workings ?Benjamin Pflugmann2 Aug
      • Re: mod_auth_mysql without a pop-up/login window ? & innerworkings ?chas3 Aug
    • Re: mod_auth_mysql without a pop-up/login window ? & inner workings ?Martin Ramsch2 Aug
  • Re: mod_auth_mysqlHerbert2 Aug
    • Re: mod_auth_mysqlMartin Ramsch2 Aug
    • Re: mod_auth_mysqlh.j.s2 Aug