List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:November 7 2001 4:46pm
Subject:Re: Default forced on MySQL; Basic SQL correctness should be
higher priority than others
View as plain text
At 4:44 AM -0600 11/7/01, DownloadFAST.com wrote:
>My purpose in posting to this list was to see if any one else thought that
>basic SQL compliance is a priority.  Or if I am the lone person of my
>caliber in this community.  It is important for me to gauge what level of
>thinking is driving the development and use of MySQL.

"Of my caliber"?  Well, I don't know if anyone else shares your views
about SQL compliance, but you're certainly lone in being head and shoulders
in your arrogance about blasting in here on the mailing list and waving
your credentials around.  We've seen that kind of thing before, and it
shouldn't surprise you that reaction is so negative.

Anyway, the answer to your question may be to compile MySQL with the
DONT_USE_DEFAULT_FIELDS flag.  From the manual:

@cindex default values, suppression
@cindex suppression, default values
@item
You can configure MySQL not to use @code{DEFAULT} column values for
non-@code{NULL} columns (that is, columns that are not allowed to be
@code{NULL}).  This causes @code{INSERT} statements to generate an error
unless you explicitly specify values for all columns that require a
non-@code{NULL} value.  To suppress use of default values, run
@code{configure} like this:

@tindex CXXFLAGS environment variable
@tindex environment variable, CXXFLAGS
@example
shell> CXXFLAGS=-DDONT_USE_DEFAULT_FIELDS ./configure
@end example
Thread
Default forced on MySQL; Basic SQL correctness should behigher priority than othersDownloadFAST.com7 Nov
  • Re: Default forced on MySQL; Basic SQL correctness should be higher priority than othersArne K. Haaje7 Nov
    • Re: Default forced on MySQL; Basic SQL correctness should be higher priority than othersDownloadFAST.com7 Nov
    • Re: Default forced on MySQL; Basic SQL correctness should be higher priority than othersKodrik7 Nov
      • Re: Default forced on MySQL; Basic SQL correctness should behigher priority than othersDownloadFAST.com7 Nov
        • Re: Default forced on MySQL; Basic SQL correctness should be higher priority than othersKodrik7 Nov
          • Re: Default forced on MySQL; Basic SQL correctness should behigher priority than othersDownloadFAST.com7 Nov
          • Re: Default forced on MySQL; Basic SQL correctness should be higher priority than othersCarl Troein7 Nov
            • Re: Default forced on MySQL; Basic SQL correctness should be higher priority than othersKodrik7 Nov
              • Re: Default forced on MySQL; Basic SQL correctness should behigher priority than othersDownloadFAST.com7 Nov
                • Re: Default forced on MySQL; Basic SQL correctness should be higher priority than othersKodrik7 Nov
                  • Re: Default forced on MySQL; Basic SQL correctness should behigher priority than othersDownloadFAST.com7 Nov
                    • Re: Default forced on MySQL; Basic SQL correctness should be higher priority than othersKodrik7 Nov
    • Re: Default forced on MySQL; Basic SQL correctness should be higher priority than othersElm Gysel7 Nov
      • Re: Default forced on MySQL; Basic SQL correctness should be higher priority than othersDownloadFAST.com7 Nov
  • Re: Default forced on MySQLSinisa Milivojevic7 Nov
    • Re: Default forced on MySQLDownloadFAST.com7 Nov
      • Re: Default forced on MySQLSinisa Milivojevic7 Nov
        • Re: Default forced on MySQLDownloadFAST.com7 Nov
          • Re: Default forced on MySQLSinisa Milivojevic7 Nov
            • Re: Default forced on MySQLDownloadFAST.com7 Nov
              • Re: Default forced on MySQLSinisa Milivojevic7 Nov
                • Re: Default forced on MySQLDownloadFAST.com7 Nov
                  • Re: Default forced on MySQLSinisa Milivojevic7 Nov
                    • Re: Default forced on MySQLDownloadFAST.com7 Nov
Re: Default forced on MySQL; Basic SQL correctness should be higher priority than othersDownloadFAST.com7 Nov
  • Re: Default forced on MySQL; Basic SQL correctness should be higher priority than othersKodrik7 Nov
    • Re: Default forced on MySQL; Basic SQL correctness should behigher priority than othersDownloadFAST.com7 Nov
  • Re: Default forced on MySQL; Basic SQL correctness should be higher priority than othersPaul DuBois7 Nov
    • Re: Default forced on MySQL; Basic SQL correctness should be higher priority than othersDownloadFAST.com7 Nov
      • Re: Default forced on MySQL; Basic SQL correctness should be higher priority than othersrc7 Nov
        • Re: Default forced on MySQL; Basic SQL correctness should be higher priority than othersDownloadFAST.com7 Nov
          • Re: Default forced on MySQL; Basic SQL correctness should be higher priority than othersKodrik7 Nov
          • OT: Default forced on MySQL;Ravi Raman7 Nov
RE: Default forced on MySQL; Basic SQL correctness should be higher priority than othersDownloadFAST.com7 Nov
  • RE: Default forced on MySQL; Basic SQL correctness should be higher priority than othersCarsten H. Pedersen7 Nov
    • RE: Default forced on MySQL; Basic SQL correctness should be higher priority than othersDownloadFAST.com7 Nov
  • Re: Default forced on MySQL; Basic SQL correctness should be higher priority than othersDL Neil7 Nov
    • Re: Default forced on MySQL; Basic SQL correctness should be higher priority than othersDownloadFAST.com7 Nov
Re: Default forced on MySQL; Basic SQL correctness should behigher priority than othersDownloadFAST.com7 Nov
  • Re: Default forced on MySQL; Basic SQL correctness should be higher priority than othersKodrik7 Nov
    • Re: Default forced on MySQL; Basic SQL correctness should behigher priority than othersDownloadFAST.com7 Nov
Re: Default forced on MySQLDownloadFAST.com7 Nov
  • Re: Default forced on MySQLSinisa Milivojevic7 Nov
  • Re: Default forced on MySQLElm Gysel7 Nov
    • Re: Default forced on MySQLSinisa Milivojevic7 Nov
    • Re: Default forced on MySQLDownloadFAST.com7 Nov
      • Re: Default forced on MySQLPaul DuBois7 Nov
  • Re: Default forced on MySQLElm Gysel7 Nov
    • Re: Default forced on MySQLDownloadFAST.com7 Nov
Re: Default forced on MySQL; Basic SQL correctness should behigher priority than othersDownloadFAST.com7 Nov
RE: Default forced on MySQL; Basic SQL correctness should be higher priority than othersDownloadFAST.com7 Nov
RE: Default forced on MySQLShankar Unni7 Nov
  • RE: Default forced on MySQLPaul DuBois7 Nov
  • Re: Default forced on MySQLShankar Unni8 Nov
Re: OT: Default forced on MySQL;DownloadFAST.com8 Nov
Re: OT: Default forced on MySQL;DownloadFAST.com8 Nov
  • Re: OT: Default forced on MySQL;Gordan Bobic8 Nov
Re: OT: Default forced on MySQL;DownloadFAST.com9 Nov
Re: OT: Default forced on MySQL;Gordan Bobic9 Nov
  • Re: OT: Default forced on MySQL;DownloadFAST.com9 Nov
Re: OT: Default forced on MySQL;DownloadFAST.com9 Nov
  • Re: OT: Default forced on MySQL;Gordan Bobic9 Nov
  • Re: OT: Default forced on MySQL;Shankar Unni9 Nov
    • Re: OT: Default forced on MySQL;Kodrik9 Nov
Re: Default forced on MySQLFranklin Schmidt10 Nov
  • pass variable in JS to php and mysql-queryPhieu Huynh12 Nov
  • Re: pass variable in JS to php and mysql-queryNguyen Trong Phuc12 Nov
  • Re: pass variable in JS to php and mysql-queryPhieu Huynh13 Nov
Re: Default forced on MySQLFranklin Schmidt10 Nov
  • Re: Default forced on MySQLKodrik10 Nov
Re: Default forced on MySQLFranklin Schmidt10 Nov
Re: Default forced on MySQLFranklin Schmidt10 Nov
  • Re: Default forced on MySQLKodrik10 Nov
  • Re: MySQL has transactions, foreign keys, and an option for NO DEFAULTArjen G. Lentz11 Nov
    • Re: MySQL has transactions, foreign keys, and an option for NO DEFAULTKodrik11 Nov
  • Re: Default forced on MySQLGordan Bobic11 Nov
Re: pass variable in JS to php and mysql-queryM.Hompus12 Nov
Re: Default forced on MySQLFranklin Schmidt14 Nov