List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:August 2 1999 3:24am
Subject:Many databases
View as plain text
Hi!

Peter> I use MYSQL for organizing  a multi-user counter. It sould count =
Peter> 1-10millions of hits per day on 10-30 thousands of sites (counters)
Peter>
Peter> FThe question is what is better to use in this case one huge database =
Peter> with billoins of records or local databases for clients ?
Peter> the gain with database for each client is database size - so the =
Peter> creating reports should go faster but having 10-30 thousands of tables =
Peter> I'll have 30-90 thousands of files so mysql will have to very often to =
Peter> close and open files again which will slow down everything (at list =
Peter> insertion speed)
Peter>
Peter> Any ideas ?
Peter>
Peter>
Peter>
Peter> Best Regards
Peter>                        Peter Zaitsev

Hi!

Normally big files should be faster than many files.  This assumes of
course that you have a operating system that can handle big files!

Regards,
Monty
Thread
Many databasesPeter Zaitsev28 Jul