List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Venu Date:November 5 2001 6:09pm
Subject:RE: MS VB to MySQL
View as plain text
Hi !!

The best idea is to use MyODBC as the intermediate layer.
First Import the required tables from MSSQL to Access
using MS ODBC Driver and then export this tables from
Access to MySQL using MyODBC.

This way you can ensure that, the names and data types
are converted to MySQL compatibility.

For more information about MyODBC, refer to
http://www.mysql.com/documentation/mysql/bychapter/manual_Clients.html#ODBC

You can also find some useful convertors to do this
conversion from:
http://www.mysql.com/downloads/contrib.html

> 3. I've been creating application in my company using Visual Basic.
> I'm connecting to MSSQL with DataEnvironment Objects (DE) using
> DataBindings.
> How can i connect from Visual Basic to MySQL without DSN (ODBC) or another
> said is
> DSN-less ?

For MyODBC, use the following connection string for DSN-less
connection:
"Driver={MySQL};SERVER=A;DATABASE=test;UID=myuser;PWD=mypassword;"

> Maybe someone else can help me getting out from this situations.
>
> PS: Why moving MSSQL to MySQL ?
> My reason is :
> 1. MSSQL is very expensives, too much costs spend it out.
> So with MySQL, i'm can be costing down the budget.
> 2. My server will be going to Linux (much security IMHO).

Cool, few more additions ...
http://www.zdnet.com/devhead/stories/articles/0,4413,2800609,00.html

Regards, Venu
--