List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Stephen Lee Date:November 3 2001 3:46am
Subject:Re: Innodb file sizes
View as plain text
> In the last episode (Nov 02), Stephen Lee said:
>> I have the following settings in /etc/my.cnf:
>>
>> default-table-type=innodb
>> innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:1000M
>> set-variable = innodb_log_file_size=5M
>>
>> The resulting files:
>> -rw-rw----    1 mysql    mysql        2560 Nov  2 12:17
>> ib_arch_log_0000000000 -rw-rw----    1 mysql    mysql        2560 Nov
>> 2 12:20 ib_arch_log_0000000002 -rw-rw----    1 mysql    mysql
>> 2560 Nov  2 14:16 ib_arch_log_0000000004 -rw-rw----    1 mysql
>> mysql    1048576000 Nov  2 14:16 ibdata1 -rw-rw----    1 mysql
>> mysql     5242880 Nov  2 14:16 ib_logfile0 -rw-rw----    1 mysql
>> mysql     5242880 Nov  2 09:30 ib_logfile1 -rw-rw----    1 mysql
>> mysql     5242880 Nov  1 10:10 ib_logfile2
>
> Which are exactly the sizes you specified in the config file.   It's
> doing exactly what you asked.
>
> --
> 	Dan Nelson

I am not familiar with innodb and so was a bit surprised at the size of the
files (even though they were specified) when considering the actual amount
of table data they contain (<200M). I have to account for this sudden jump
in disk space usage during backups. Am I correct in saying that the ibdata1
file is a finite-sized container, which when filled-up, can be extended to a
predefined ibdata2 container?

Thanks for any explanations,
Stephen

Thread