List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:John Kelly Date:November 3 2001 2:15am
Subject:Need help with a query ...
View as plain text
Hi, I have a MySQL table with a column that contains some of a web site
directory's category names in the format:

Sports:Football:Players

I am trying to build a query that that locates all records that match the
above category name OR if none exist its parent "Sports:Football" OR if none
exist its parent "Sports". The top level category, in this case "Sports",
will always have at least one matching record.

I know I can do this with multiple queries by checking the previous query's
result, but I am trying to build a query that does it all in one lookup to
avoid lots of lookups in deep categories. Something along the logical lines
of ...

SELECT * FROM table WHERE category = 'Sports:Football:Players' OR IF NONE
category = 'Sports:Football' OR IF NONE category = 'Sports'

... of course the above query does not work but if anyone knows of how to
accomplish something similar in one query I would much appreciate it.

Thanks!

Thread
Need help with a query ...John Kelly3 Nov
  • Re: Need help with a query ...Michael3 Nov
    • Re: Need help with a query ...John Kelly3 Nov
  • Re: Need help with a query ...Bob Hall3 Nov
  • Re: Need help with a query ...Anvar Hussain K.M.5 Nov