List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:jonathan michaels Date:August 1 1999 2:14am
Subject:Re: linux suitability -- mysql
View as plain text
On Thu, Jul 29, 1999 at 08:47:55PM -0500, Ed Carp wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Jul 1999, jonathan michaels wrote:
>
> > i've gotten several other responces in email that say similar
> > things. this reinforces my own opinions (based on personal
> > experince) of the caldera distribution.
>
> Please keep in mind that "the caldera distribution" is essentially the
> same as RedHat, TurboLinux, SuSE, Mandrake, and all the others - Linux is

ummm, yes, i know that linux is just a kernel wraped with the
gnu toolkits and several gnu and other styled licences
appication sets.

i've tried many different linux distribution over the years,
this is now why i use freebsd as the server and have my
workstation installed with freebsd, ibm os/2, beos and now
caldera.

> Linux.  The only differences in the distributions that I've noticed are
> (1) the ease (or lack thereof) of installation, and the packages provided
> with the distribution.

as far as 'essentially the same', i've tried the yddggrssil
(sorry if i got the y, d, g and s's out of order) slackware,
debian and caldera distributions to install 'out of the box' so
to speak and work well as desktops on client only machines.
redhat has yet to complete a successfull installation.

for me the caldera distribution has been the best, followed
closely by the debian/gnu product. as far as applications,
well, a word processor like wordperfect, a spread sheet like
wingz and a database client like mysql rounds out the desktop
set ... maybe one day a devolpment ide like the one supplied
with qnx would be neat but its not that important.

this is why i have my workstation setup as a pentium pro and
the system fileserver - mail gateway - wwwserver - dns host
wais/gopher server console all built on an old and reliable
i386dx33. untill recently i was a text mode console only type,
i'm being dragged kicking and screaming into the gui world and
the caldera (v2.2) setup caught my fancy, so to speak.

i;ve just reread my post, i think its now sufficiently offtopic
to be moved to email, not that thier need to be much more said.

kind regards to all who responded, thank you.

if i see any quirks in the caldera openlinux installation of
mysql (i will be installing the last v3.22.?? v3.23 is still a
bit too new for me .. i'm not an early adopter) i will let the
list know and or cry fro help, i'm not as good at probelm
solving as i once was.

ummm, where was i, signing off, ahhh, that's it ...

cheers

jonathan

Jonathan Michaels
PO Box 144, Rosebery, NSW 1445 Australia

Thread
linux suitability -- mysqljonathan michaels29 Jul
  • Re: linux suitability -- mysqlBrighten Godfrey29 Jul
    • Re: linux suitability -- mysqljonathan michaels30 Jul
      • Re: linux suitability -- mysqlEd Carp30 Jul
        • Re: linux suitability -- mysqljonathan michaels1 Aug
          • Re: linux suitability -- mysqlVan1 Aug
  • Re: linux suitability -- mysqlColin McKinnon29 Jul