List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:November 1 2001 4:39am
Subject:Re: the FOUND_ROWS() function -- documented anywhere?
View as plain text
At 11:21 PM -0500 10/31/01, Robert Alexander wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>In the 4.0 manual, section F.1.1 "Changes in release 4.0" it says:
>
>"Added SQL_CALC_FOUND_ROWS and FOUND_ROWS(). This makes it possible
>to know how many rows a query would have returned without a LIMIT
>clause."
>
>Unfortunately, I can't find any other references to FOUND_ROWS() in
>the manual, or when I do a search for it in the documentation on the
>MySQL site.
>
>This function would be very handy for me in an application I'm working on.
>
>I tried it in the client, for example:
>
>mysql> select col1, col2
>     -> from tbl
>     -> where col2 > 5
>     -> limit 10;
>
>And I got 10 rows back.
>
>I then did:
>
>mysql> select found_rows();
>            -> 10
>
>then;
>
>mysql> select col1, col2
>     -> from tbl
>     -> where col2 > 5
>
>and got back 32 rows
>
>mysql> select found_rows();
>            -> 32
>
>This doesn't seems to be working as the brief description would seem
>to indicate.
>
>What am I missing?

SELECT SQL_CALC_FOUND_ROWS col1, col2
FROM tbl
WHERE col2 > 2
LIMIT 10;

You'll get back 10 rows.

SELECT FOUND_ROWS();

You should get back a value of 32.

Note that there's no comma after SQL_CALC_FOUND_ROWS.

>Thanks!
>
>/Rob
>--
>Robert Alexander    ~~   Programmer/Analyst/DBA/Admin
>WWW Database Applications    ~~    http://www.ra1.net
>Web Software and Hosting   ~~  http://www.workmate.ca

Thread
the FOUND_ROWS() function -- documented anywhere?Robert Alexander1 Nov
  • Re: the FOUND_ROWS() function -- documented anywhere?Paul DuBois1 Nov