List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jeremy Zawodny Date:November 1 2001 4:39am
Subject:Re: Linux VM on MySQL Servers...
View as plain text
On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 04:08:31PM +0000, Luis Ferro wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> After reading some debate under way in kernel lists, i'm curious
> regarding performance of MySQL under the two diferent VM currently
> in the kernels (Linus and Alan Cox kernels).
>
> Has anyone any info regarding this?

Yeah, I posted on it a month or so ago.

I've had a hell of a time with it.  We've run both 2.4.9 and 2.4.12
with and without swap.  If at all possible, just turn off swap and
you'll be happy.  But if you can't afford to, the newer kernels seem
to be better than 2.4.9 was.

It was around 2.4.10 or so that I complained about it on the Linux
Kernel mailing list and Linus took note of the thread and started
making changes (again).

I hope things stabilize soon.  I don't like having to run a kernel
upgrade on our production servers every few weeks to see if it really
helps. :-(

I've not played with an -ac branches, only the official releases.

Things are pretty good on a dedicated box with just MySQL running.
But if you get on the box and start running some I/O intensive stuff
along with MySQL, the kernel can do very stupid things with memory
allocation and cause excessive swapping.

We'll probably upgrade one of our servers again when the next kernel
comes out to see if things are better.  From what I've been reading,
we may be approaching the point when it'll be a bit predictable.

Jeremy
--
Jeremy D. Zawodny, <jzawodn@stripped>
Technical Yahoo - Yahoo Finance

MySQL 3.23.41-max: up 56 days, processed 1,245,185,566 queries (257/sec. avg)
Thread
"ROW_FORMAT=compressed" has no effect on db file sizesBennett Haselton30 Oct
  • Re: "ROW_FORMAT=compressed" has no effect on db file sizesDan Nelson30 Oct
    • Re: "ROW_FORMAT=compressed" has no effect on db file sizesBennett Haselton31 Oct
  • Linux VM on MySQL Servers...Luis Ferro31 Oct
    • Re: Linux VM on MySQL Servers...Jeremy Zawodny1 Nov