List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:October 31 2001 11:48pm
Subject:Re: HOW do I return the results of a count to a variable
View as plain text
[snip]

>Of all the methods suggested I like the look of the one above and will
>try that one first.
>
>$count = $sth->fetchrow_array();
>
>$rows = $sth->rows()

Note that use of rows() to get the row count for a SELECT is deprecated
in the DBI docs, which say that if you want to know the number of rows
in a result set, fetch and count them.  (The reason is that rows()
just doesn't work at all for some database engines.  On the other hand,
it appears to work just fine for MySQL...)

>$count = $dbh->selectrow_array (
>     "SELECT COUNT(*) FROM go.objectives WHERE subjects_id='1' AND
>      subjectHeadings_id='2'");
>

>Thankyou all.
>
>--
>Home:- hinwickATworsdall.demon.co.uk    WEB:- http://www.worsdall.demon.co.uk
>Shadow:- webmasterATshadow.org.uk       WEB:- http://www.shadow.org.uk

Thread
(errno: 40)Eric Dean29 Oct
  • Re: (errno: 40)mickalo29 Oct
  • HOW do I return the results of a count to a variableMark Worsdall31 Oct
    • Re: HOW do I return the results of a count to a variablemickalo31 Oct
    • Re: HOW do I return the results of a count to a variablemickalo31 Oct
    • Re: HOW do I return the results of a count to a variablePaul DuBois31 Oct
      • Re: HOW do I return the results of a count to a variableMark Worsdall31 Oct
        • Re: HOW do I return the results of a count to a variablePaul DuBois1 Nov
  • Having trouble using LIMITMark Worsdall31 Oct
    • Re: Having trouble using LIMITSteve Meyers31 Oct
      • Re: Having trouble using LIMITMark Worsdall31 Oct
    • Re: Having trouble using LIMITPaul DuBois31 Oct
  • Re: HOW do I return the results of a count to a variableAnne Shroeder31 Oct
  • Re: HOW do I return the results of a count to a variableBill Adams1 Nov
    • Re: HOW do I return the results of a count to a variablePaul DuBois1 Nov
  • Re: HOW do I return the results of a count to a variableHarald Fuchs1 Nov
    • Re: HOW do I return the results of a count to a variablePaul DuBois2 Nov