List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Bennett Haselton Date:October 31 2001 3:26pm
Subject:Re: "ROW_FORMAT=compressed" has no effect on db file sizes
View as plain text
At 12:18 PM 10/30/2001 -0600, Dan Nelson wrote:
>In the last episode (Oct 30), Bennett Haselton said:
> > I created one table with the command:
> >
> > CREATE TABLE pet (name VARCHAR(20), owner VARCHAR(20), species
> VARCHAR(20), sex CHAR(1), birth DATE, death DATE, id INT UNSIGNED NOT
> NULL);
> >
> > and another one with the command:
> >
> > CREATE TABLE pet2 (name VARCHAR(20), owner VARCHAR(20), species
> VARCHAR(20), sex CHAR(1), birth DATE, death DATE, id INT UNSIGNED NOT
> NULL) ROW_FORMAT=compressed;
>
> From the manual:
>
>:    `ROW_FORMAT'  Defines how the rows should be stored. Currently
>:                  this option only works with MyISAM tables, which
>:                  supports the `DYNAMIC' and `FIXED' row formats.
>:                  *Note MyISAM table formats::.
>
>:    When you `CREATE' or `ALTER' a table you can for tables that
>:    doesn't have `BLOB''s force the table format to `DYNAMIC' or
>:    `FIXED' with the `ROW_FORMAT=#' table option.  In the future you
                                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I guess this is the operative phrase here; it's planned for the future but
it doesn't work yet (and presumably the reason MySQL doesn't give you
errors when you enter these commands is for compatibility reasons).

>:    will be able to compress/decompress tables by specifying
>:    `ROW_FORMAT=compressed | default' to `ALTER TABLE'.  *Note CREATE
>:    TABLE::.
>

>--
>         Dan Nelson
>         dnelson@stripped

Thread
"ROW_FORMAT=compressed" has no effect on db file sizesBennett Haselton30 Oct
  • Re: "ROW_FORMAT=compressed" has no effect on db file sizesDan Nelson30 Oct
    • Re: "ROW_FORMAT=compressed" has no effect on db file sizesBennett Haselton31 Oct
  • Linux VM on MySQL Servers...Luis Ferro31 Oct
    • Re: Linux VM on MySQL Servers...Jeremy Zawodny1 Nov