List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:July 31 1999 12:43am
Subject:Re: pricing
View as plain text
Hi!

>>>>> "Robert" == Robert Semenoff <r.semenoff@stripped>
> writes:

Robert> -----Original Message-----
Robert> From: Paul DuBois <paul@stripped>
Robert> To: WhiteMoor Studio <info@stripped>; mysql@stripped
Robert> <mysql@stripped>
Robert> Date: Monday, July 19, 1999 11:19 AM
Robert> Subject: Re: pricing

>> At 12:09 PM -0500 7/19/99, WhiteMoor Studio wrote:
>>> Dear sir/madam,
>>>
>>> First, I am not a user of MySQL (yet?). But I have a question. Why do I
Robert> have
>>> to pay a licence fee for a Microsoft OS while I don't have to pay for a
Robert> non
>>> Microsoft OS?
>>
>> Short answer: it costs the developers money to develop MySQL on a

Robert> Is that the answer or a guess ?

It's the correct answer;  It costs us 3-4 times as much TIME to do
anything on Windows than on Unix.

We have also a problem finding people that know Unix and also wants
to develop on Windows.  Most people seems to want MUCH more money from
us to even touch the windows machine!

The endless upgrades of operating system and compilers on Windows also
cost us a lot of time and effort!

>> non-free OS using non-free compilers and development tools, and that

Robert> You have a skewed notion of where the costs of software development go.

>> cost has to be recovered somehow.  It also costs the developers time
>> because Windows development is more difficult than UNIX development.

Robert> I don't buy that.

In this case you have never developed on Windows and Unix!

>> In the UNIX world you can get both the OS and the development tools
>> for nothing.
>>

>> Why do you ask?

Robert> How about "It doesn't seem like a fair policy".

I agree;  I don't think it's fair that I have to pay to upgrade a
compiler when the only reason I have to upgrade is because of bugs in
the previous version of the compiler.  (The same goes for the OS)

I don't think it's fair that I have to run our benchmarks a lot of
extra times just because the OS crashed after 6 hours of testing.

We at TCX has got so much better things for free from the Unix
community, that we decided to pay it back by allowing them to use
MySQL for free for personal and inhouse (even commercial) use.

I think it's more than fair that we get something for our efforts
to make a stable MySQL version on Windows.  We are certainly NOT doing
it because we think its fun!

If we do this any other way we could not afford to continue to develop
MySQL on Win32 or even  keep this version up to date with the Unix version.

On the other hand, we do give out free MySQL versions for educational
purposes and to all software developers that are making free software!

Robert> Although I think a better question would be Why would you want to try
Robert> developing a stable database on top of an unstable OS.

I agree.

Regards,
Monty
Thread
pricingWhiteMoor Studio19 Jul
  • Re: pricingPaul DuBois19 Jul
  • Re: pricingSasha Pachev19 Jul
  • Retrieving & Storing imagesNolberto Rojas Gil19 Jul
  • Re: pricingFred Read20 Jul
  • pricingsinisa20 Jul
  • Re: pricingTechnische Dienst21 Jul
Re: pricingRobert Semenoff19 Jul