List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:July 30 1999 9:17pm
Subject:mysql bug report.
View as plain text

<cut>

Roy> This started from a need to reload the database to let new users add data
Roy> toother tables.  Since I could not get the reload to operate from within a web
Roy> page without putting the password on the page (somethign I didn't want to do) I
Roy> thought that running it via a cron would be the simple and easy solution.
Roy> Wrong.  Specifically the command I had in cron was

Roy> mysqladmin --password=passwd reload

Roy> should have worked fine.  However, after the mysqladmin worked mysqld crashes...
Roy> and henceforth if invoked from command line as mysqld there is a segmentation
Roy> fault.  If invoked as safe_mysqld, it spawns
Roy> multiple versions of mysql, killing them off immediatly.

Roy> below is what you see if you start safe_mysqld

Roy> Number of processes running now: 2
Roy> mysqld proces hanging, pid 3214 - killed
Roy> /usr/bin/safe_mysqld: kill: (3214) - No such pid
Roy> mysqld restarted on  Fri Jul 16 08:47:23 CDT 1999
Roy> /usr/bin/safe_mysqld: line 146:  3238 Segmentation fault      nohup
Roy> $ledir/mysqld --basedir=$MY_BASEDIR_VERSION --datadir=$DATADIR
Roy> --skip-locking >>$err_log 2>&1

Roy> Number of processes running now: 2
Roy> mysqld proces hanging, pid 3241 - killed
Roy> /usr/bin/safe_mysqld: kill: (3241) - No such pid
Roy> mysqld restarted on  Fri Jul 16 08:47:23 CDT 1999
Roy> /usr/bin/safe_mysqld: line 146:  3265 Segmentation fault      nohup
Roy> $ledir/mysqld --basedir=$MY_BASEDIR_VERSION --datadir=$DATADIR
Roy> --skip-locking >>$err_log 2>&1

Roy> That process of starting mysqld and then killing it will repeat forever (my
Roy> error logs were over 10 meg when I got to them).  If you try and just start
Roy> mysqld from the command line you get a segmentation. fault.  I thought maybe
Roy> removing the mysql.sock would help...... nope.

Roy> Thereafter, whenever I started the machine the hanging error would occur and
Roy> would fill the screen.  The only way to eliminate the error was to take mysql
Roy> out of the boot process.

Roy> I uninstalled mysql..... rebooted and then restarted it..... nope.
Roy> I installed another kernel.... nope.
Roy> Ran isamchk .... did not find any errors in the databases.

Roy> The only way to recover was to do a fresh install of the entire linux on a
Roy> freshly formatted hard drive (bummer).

Roy> This same error has happened on three different machines.

>> How-To-Repeat:

Roy> Mysqladmin reload on one machine triggered the affect without running it through
Roy> cron.

Hi!

I have never seen this before.

Any change you can repeat this and when you can't start mysqld, make a
tar file of the mysql privilege tables and mail them to me!

Before you test this, take a copy of the privilege tables.  I am very
sure you can continue as before after you have restored the original
tables!

Regards,
Monty
Thread
mysql bug report.Roy F. Cabaniss16 Jul
  • mysql bug report.Michael Widenius31 Jul