List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:October 28 2001 3:22pm
Subject:Re: MyISAM API
View as plain text
Hi!

Sinisa> Wendy Dillon writes:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I realise that a number of people have already asked this but as it was a
>> while ago thought more info may now be available:
>>
>> Is there any documentation for the MyISAM C API yet apart from the source
>> code?
>>
>> In previous discussions of accessing MyISAM directly I see 2 issues that are
>> frequently highlighted, the first being that the API is not available in
>> client/server mode which does not affect my project and the second being
>> that it is not possible to access the same data through SQL and MyISAM at
>> the same time because of concurrency problems.  This could be a major issue.
>> Could anyone expand on this point?  I can see from the source code that
>> there is locking provided through calls to the MyISAM library, does anyone
>> have any info on this?
>>
>> I would be grateful for any information, particularly from anyone who has
>> directly accessed (or attempted to directly access) MyISAM databases,
>> reading and writing records.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Wendy

Sinisa> Hi!

Sinisa> In 4.0.0 source code, you will find Docs subdir and in it myisam.txt.

A couple of additional comments:

In theory you can use MyISAM and MySQL on the same data if your system
has reliable flock() calls and you are running the MySQL daemon with
--enable-locking.  Unfortunately not all systems, including Linux,
doesn't have a very reliable lockd daemon so this may not always work
as good at is should.

Note that I haven't tested this on Linux 2.4, so things may work now.
If you decide to use this, I recommend you to test this very throughly
before putting this into production.

Note that you can also directly access the MyISAM interface through
the new HANDLER calls in MySQL 4.0!

Regards,
Monty

--
For technical support contracts, goto https://order.mysql.com/
   __  ___     ___ ____  __
  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Mr. Michael Widenius <monty@stripped>
 / /|_/ / // /\ \/ /_/ / /__   MySQL AB, CTO
/_/  /_/\_, /___/\___\_\___/   Helsinki, Finland
       <___/   www.mysql.com
Thread
MyISAM APIWendy Dillon22 Oct
  • Re: MyISAM APISinisa Milivojevic22 Oct
    • Re: MyISAM APIMichael Widenius29 Oct
  • Re: MyISAM APIDL Neil22 Oct
    • Re: MyISAM APISinisa Milivojevic22 Oct
      • RE: MyISAM APISteve Meyers22 Oct
        • Re: MyISAM APIDan Nelson22 Oct
        • Re: MyISAM APIJeremy Zawodny22 Oct
          • Re: MyISAM APISergei Golubchik22 Oct