List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:July 30 1999 3:31pm
Subject:myISAM vs ISAM
View as plain text
>>>>> "Mark" == Mark Papadakis <markp@stripped> writes:

Mark> Hi!
Mark> After convering a 55mil rows table to myISAM it turned out its about 20%
Mark> slower than
Mark> the older iSAM. Am I doing something wrong?

Hi!

In what is MyISAM slower: inserts, updates, selects, deletes ?

Could you mail us the output from:

myisamchk -dvv table_name

The only thing that could make MyISAM slower is that you are using
compressed indexes, which should make inserts slower but selects
faster in the long run.

You can avoid index compression by specifying  PACK_KEY=0 to CREATE
TABLE.

Please ALWAYS include all possible information that we need to help
you!  A lot of examples of exactly what is slow and what isn't should
help a lot to fix it!

MyISAM should normally be about as fast as ISAM;  The big news
is that MyISAM provide a lot of very useful new functionality to MySQL.

Regards,
Monty
Thread
myISAM vs ISAMMark Papadakis16 Jul