List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Steve Meyers Date:October 23 2001 5:43am
Subject:RE: Tree in SQL
View as plain text
If the depth of the tree is always the same, it is actually fairly easy.  For instance, if
there are three levels:

SELECT c.group_id FROM table a, table b, table c WHERE a.group_id = 12345 AND b.group_id =
a.parent_group_id AND c.group_id = b.parent_group_id

If you don't know the depth, you'll have to do a recursive search (keep on querying for
the next parent until you run out of parents).

Steve Meyers