List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Alan Rateliff II Date:October 22 2001 6:00pm
Subject:Re: just found out this list is being published on the web
View as plain text
Actually, as per their Privacy Policy:

"When you subscribe to MySQL mailinglists to receive MySQL news and
product information, you must provide email address. We never sell or rent
your email address you provide when subscribing to our elists. Please
note, that MySQL mailing lists are archived by several third party sites
and your email address can be found from their archives and MySQL doesn't
have control over those archives. "

< http://mysql.com/company/privacy.html >

--
       Alan W. Rateliff, II        :     YourVillage.com
  Assistant Systems Administrator  :   2700 Apalachee Pkwy

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, Robert Alexander wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just found out, while looking for other things, that what seems to be the entire
> content of the MySQL list is being published on the web.
>
> I, for one, really don't like this idea. I have a reasonable expectation that what I
> post here is for viewing by subscribers to this list, the MySQL community, not the whole
> world.
>
> I realize that a mailing list is not *real* private -- anyone can subscribe, after
> all -- but I sure don't like discovering, for example, my personal email addresses on web
> pages that are available to spambots.
>
> The site in question is http://dbforums.com. Try, for example,
> http://dbforums.com/t147187.html
>
> I certainly haven't consented to my personal speech and writing being used as a
> commercial operation's "content." I don't consider publishing my writing on a public web
> page without my knowledge or consent to be fair use.
>
> I'm not talking about a searchable mailing list archive; that is certainly reasonable
> fair use. A searchable archive creates pages on demand for the person requesting them, and
> doesn't leave them on the web to be found by search engines and 'bots.
>
> Dear MySQL folks,
> Have you given permission to dbforums.com to publish the content of this list?

Thread
just found out this list is being published on the webRobert Alexander22 Oct
  • Re: just found out this list is being published on the web [OT]Mark Maunder22 Oct
  • Re: just found out this list is being published on the webAlan Rateliff II22 Oct
RE: just found out this list is being published on the webJonathan Hilgeman22 Oct