List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dennis Salguero Date:October 21 2001 9:45pm
Subject:Re: Proposed Guidelines for Posting to the MySQL list
View as plain text  
----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Alexander" <mysql@stripped>
To: <mysql@stripped>
Sent: Sunday, October 21, 2001 1:29 PM
Subject: Proposed Guidelines for Posting to the MySQL list


> There's been some discussion recently on the need for a FAQ and posting
> guidelines for the MySQL list. I got to thinking about that... :>

That's great! Overall, I think that these guidelines have a lot of merit,
but I can't help but feel that they should be coming more from MySQL AB,
than the list itself. If they have a vision for the resource that the
mailing lists should provide, then its guidelines should come from MySQL AB.

>  - Replies are directed to the POSTER and not to the list. This keeps
traffic
>    and clutter down.

This is one of the few points I disagree with. The archives of this list, if
used properly, is probably one of the best support resources out there right
now. One of the reasons is because there tends to be some "back-and-forth"
until a correct answer is determined. Following the thread of responses to a
particular query can be of great benefit.

The antithesis of this rule is that individual posters MAY NOT be contacted.
This prevents the experts on the list from being flooded with direct
queries, which does not benefit the list as a whole. I know that when I am
directly contacted, either "out of the blue" or as a follow-up to an answer,
I encourage the writer to post to the list since providing answers
one-on-one does not benefit the list. Therefore, I would propose that the
guidelines include that all questions & answers (when relevant) remain on
the appropriate MySQL list.

>  - Job postings, requests for jobs, sales pitches, etc.
>    Get permission from the MySQL staff first, or use the appropriate
>    newsgroup instead.

If I remember correctly, the MySQL lists are "open" - you do not have to be
a member to post to the list. As long as the lists remain this way, they
will always be open to these kinds of postings, including outright spam.
There is a filter in place, but my understanding is that any letter
beginning with "Dear MySQL community: " (or some variation containing
"MySQL") will get through. I think you would have to work with the MySQL
staff to really tighten the list to meet stricter requirements.

> Note also that there's a good chance your question has been answered in
the
> past.  Please spend a minute or two checking one of the MySQL List
archives,
> eg. the one at the MySQL site (http://lists.mysql.com/).

See above; this archive is a great resource because all answers stay on the
list - we should definitely try to keep it this way.

Good Luck,

Dennis Salguero
**********************************************
Beridney Computer Services
dennis@stripped
http://www.beridney.com

Thread
Proposed Guidelines for Posting to the MySQL listRobert Alexander21 Oct
  • Re: Proposed Guidelines for Posting to the MySQL listMark Maunder21 Oct
  • Re: Proposed Guidelines for Posting to the MySQL listDennis Salguero21 Oct
  • Re: Proposed Guidelines for Posting to the MySQL listVictor22 Oct
  • Re: Proposed Guidelines for Posting to the MySQL listJeremy Zawodny22 Oct
  • RE: Proposed Guidelines for Posting to the MySQL listCarsten H. Pedersen22 Oct
Re: Proposed Guidelines for Posting to the MySQL listRobert Alexander22 Oct