List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:July 30 1999 9:50am
Subject:Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
View as plain text

Joe> I have been fighting with this for two days now (trying to get MySQL Server
Joe> started)  I had it working  on Monday, came in on Tuesday tryed starting it
Joe> and it said "Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
Joe> '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (111)" which as one can see below is because the
Joe> server is not running.  This is being run under Caldera Open Linux 2.2 on a Dell
Joe> 333 with 32 megs of ram.

Joe> [root@linux bin]# mysql
Joe> ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
> '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (111)
Joe> [root@linux bin]# ps
Joe>   PID TTY          TIME CMD
Joe>   781 ttyp4    00:00:00 bash
Joe>  4963 ttyp4    00:00:00 ps
Joe> [root@linux bin]#

Joe> Dump From MySQL.err---------------------------------------
Joe> mysqld started on  Wed Jul 28 09:28:19 EDT 1999
Joe> 990728  9:28:19  getpwnam: No such file or directory
Joe> 990728  9:28:19  Aborting

Joe> mysqld ended on  Wed Jul 28 09:28:19 EDT 1999
Joe> mysqld started on  Wed Jul 28 09:38:10 EDT 1999
Joe> 990728  9:38:10  getpwnam: No such file or directory
Joe> 990728  9:38:10  Aborting
Joe> [this just keeps repeating every time I try to start the system]

Hi!

This means that your libraries are incompatible with your MySQL
version.

Fix:

Don't start mysqld with the --user argument

or

Download the source version and compile this!

Regards,
Monty

Thread
Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sockJoe Campbell29 Jul
  • Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.socksinisa29 Jul
  • Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sockMichael Widenius30 Jul