List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:<jice Date:July 29 1999 7:21pm
Subject:Re: slow?
View as plain text
On Mon, 26 Jul 1999, Thimble Smith wrote:

> At 08:54, 19990726, jice@stripped wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I recently installed mysql on a solaris 7/sparc 5 to host a database of
> >address.  Using perl, DBD::mysql to parse text files containing 30,000+
> >address and then insert into the database.  It's all pretty straight
> >forward.  But, there is something that seems to me really strange.
> >The perl script starts off parsing the text files at a acceptably fast
> >rate.  When it gets around the 1500 address it's moving pretty slow.
> >i let it run over the weekend and came in Monday morning to find that it
> >was still running at a rate of 1 line inserted about ever 20 secs.  I was
> >wondering if this is a problem with this port of mysql or perl or how i
> >code.  I've also done something similar to what i described but ran mysql
> >on a Linux machine and inserted 2.5 million lines that needed a much more
> >complicated parsing script, and i had much faster results.  Any incite or
> >suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Joe, are you running out of memory?  One thing you could try is to have
> your perl script write out a data file (tab separated data) instead of
> do the inserts.  Then you could load that file with LOAD DATA INFILE in
> MySQL.  See which one is slow.
>
> Tim

Hi,

just as an update... i did what you recommend.  it took about 10 secs to
write the tab separated text file and about 30 secs to LOAD DATA INFILE.
thanks for the advice.

joe

Thread
Perl and databasesMagnus Hammar26 Jul
  • slow?jice26 Jul
    • Re: slow?Thimble Smith26 Jul
      • Re: slow?jice26 Jul
      • Re: slow?jice30 Jul
        • Re: slow?Thimble Smith30 Jul
  • Re: Perl and databaseschchar27 Jul
Re: slow?Dwain Coufal26 Jul
Re: Perl and databasesMagnus Hammar28 Jul
  • Re: Perl and databasesBill Gerrard28 Jul
  • Re: Perl and databasesJani Tolonen29 Jul
Re: Perl and databasesMagnus Hammar30 Jul