List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Philip Mak Date:October 11 2001 2:39am
Subject:Re: FreeBSD v.s. Linux on dual processor
View as plain text
On Wed, 10 Oct 2001, Dan Nelson wrote:

> It depends on what you're doing with the system.  If you're just doing
> plain selects and inserts, then mysqld is going to be I/O bound and it
> doesn't matter what OS you run it on.  If you're selecting a million
> records, doing group-bys or sorts, *AND* are doing two or more of those
> queries at once, then you need a threads package that can use both CPUs
> and will probably have to go Linux.

It's somewhere in between what you described; there will be about half a
million rows in the database. Most of our scripts don't do group-bys or
sorts (a few do); it's mostly joins.

How bad is FreeBSD when using MySQL on a dual processor? Does it not use
the second processor at all or something?

Thread
FreeBSD v.s. Linux on dual processorPhilip Mak11 Oct
  • Re: FreeBSD v.s. Linux on dual processorDan Nelson11 Oct
    • Re: FreeBSD v.s. Linux on dual processorPhilip Mak11 Oct
      • Re: FreeBSD v.s. Linux on dual processorDan Nelson11 Oct
        • Re: FreeBSD v.s. Linux on dual processorJeremy Zawodny11 Oct
        • Re: FreeBSD v.s. Linux on dual processorIlya Martynov12 Oct