List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dan Nelson Date:October 11 2001 2:11am
Subject:Re: FreeBSD v.s. Linux on dual processor
View as plain text
In the last episode (Oct 10), Philip Mak said:
> We are about to setup a dual PIII 933MHz with 1 GB of RAM machine
> that will run exclusively MySQL. We're trying to decide whether to
> use Linux or FreeBSD. The other guys all want to use FreeBSD since
> our other servers (for web and mail) are FreeBSD, but...
>
> I heard that it's better to use Linux instead of FreeBSD in this
> case, because MySQL does not (yet) make efficient use of dual
> processors on FreeBSD.
>
> Is this true? Does anyone have some good URLs that discuss the above
> statement?

It depends on what you're doing with the system.  If you're just doing
plain selects and inserts, then mysqld is going to be I/O bound and it
doesn't matter what OS you run it on.  If you're selecting a million
records, doing group-bys or sorts, *AND* are doing two or more of those
queries at once, then you need a threads package that can use both CPUs
and will probably have to go Linux.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@stripped