List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dan Nelson Date:October 10 2001 3:13am
Subject:Re: Preventing Nagle with mysql (was: Bizarre query performance)
View as plain text
In the last episode (Oct 08), Philip Brown said:
> So my next question is, how do I go about preventing Nagle at both
> ends? I'm now running the standard binary of mysql 3.23.43 on the SCO
> OpenServer, and I'm using the latest (3.23.43) libmysql.dll on the
> client side. My test application calls the API routines in
> libmysql.dll directly, so there should be no other layers like ODBC
> getting involved.
>
> MSDN tells me that Win2000 implements Nagle, but that applications
> can disable it using the TCP_NODELAY flag on the socket. Looking at
> the mysql source, it looks like this is being requested in
> libmysql.dll, but I'm not enough of a C/C++ expert to know if it is
> actually happening.

It looks like mysqld has code to disable Nagle, but I don't know when
it is triggered.  You can try manually setting TCP_NODELAY on the
filedescriptor at myhandle->net.fd (where myhandle is the structure you
get from mysql_real_connect), and see if that helps.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@stripped
      • Re: Bizarre query performanceRussell Miller5 Oct
        • RE: Bizarre query performancePhilip Brown5 Oct
          • Re: Bizarre query performanceRussell Miller6 Oct
            • RE: Bizarre query performancePhilip Brown6 Oct
  • Re: Bizarre query performanceBoyd Lynn Gerber5 Oct
    • RE: Bizarre query performancePhilip Brown5 Oct
      • RE: Bizarre query performanceBoyd Lynn Gerber5 Oct
  • Re: Bizarre query performanceDan Nelson5 Oct
    • RE: Bizarre query performancePhilip Brown5 Oct
      • Re: Bizarre query performanceDan Nelson5 Oct
        • Re: Bizarre query performanceBoyd Lynn Gerber6 Oct
          • RE: Bizarre query performancePhilip Brown6 Oct
            • Re: Bizarre query performanceDan Nelson7 Oct
              • Preventing Nagle with mysql (was: Bizarre query performance)Philip Brown8 Oct
                • Re: Preventing Nagle with mysql (was: Bizarre query performance)Dan Nelson10 Oct
                  • Re: Preventing Nagle with mysql (was: Bizarre query performance)Sinisa Milivojevic10 Oct