List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Ryan Shrout Date:October 9 2001 10:59pm
Subject:Last try guys! What is with the Spawning processes??
View as plain text
Okay, first I have been an avid reader of this list for about 6 months now
and have learnd a lot, but there seems to be one issue that has never been
addressed, despite the MANY (not just my own) requests for help or
suggestions from MySQL staff or anyone else.

Other 'threads' that have addressed this issue include, but limited to:
Re: constantly spawning processes
Re: constantly spawning processes
Re: MySQL Spawns Many Processes and Uses 100% CPU! PART #1
Re: MySQL Spawning Tons of Processes
Re: Mysql causing severe load problems on Dual-Athlon server?
Re: MySQL Performance Problem

Two of these were started by me, the rest were done by other people.  I have
read through ALL of these threads, and never has anyone come to our rescue
with assistance.  A long time ago, I had suggestions like, "Your IDE
throughput is low" or "upgrade your mysql version" but since I use SCSI and
tested the throughput at over 40 MB/s and am using the latest mysql version,
these are unfounded.

Oddly enough, that last thread suggested that a few versions back on MySQL,
this problem DIDN'T HAPPEN.  I thought for sure this would get some response
from MySQL AB, but none came.

I apologize if I sound bitchy or complaining, its just very frustrating.
Let me again post the original problem so that you don't have to look
through all of the old threads (from Henning Schroeder's words, not mine):

> Hi!
>
> I am trying to understand and fix a severe performance problem I am having
> with MySQL for some weeks now, but to no avail. So I am coming here,
hoping
> you understand more than I do (which is not very hard to do :-)
>
> Im am running mysql 3.23.41 (from the mysql-server-3.23.41-1 debian
> package) on a linux 2.2.19pre17 system with 512MB RAM and an 1GHz Pentium
> III Processor together witch apache 1.3.20 and php4.0.6.
>
> Every requested page required a mysql connection and does on the average 5
> queries. Most, if not all of the system processing resources are being
used
> by the various mysld demons that fork; the apache/php workload is less
than
> 1% of total CPU (i use apc for php caching).
>
> Currently, mysql maxes out at about 50 queries per second, which
translates
> to a system load of about 8. I have restricted apache to start a maximum
of
> 60 httpds, if I leave apache at the standard setting of 150 servers, the
> system load jumps to about 200 (!) and everything grinds to a complete
halt
> for maybe half an hour.
>
> Of course, I would like to have more users concurrently accessing the
> system. To my understanding, mysql should be able to handle 1000 req/sec
on
> that kind of machine easily.
>
> Looking in the process table reveals (when the page is fast) lots of
> sleeping processes, sometimes (when the page is slow -- 30sec to load a
web
> page) lots (20+) processes that are locked. Usually they are some SELECTs
> and UPDATEswaiting for a single table that is the most update intensive
> (one update per web page served,  changing one to three columns in one row
> that is indexed by a primary key). The complete DB size 380MB, the
"problem
> table" is 4MB large.
>
> I tried changing every parameter that I could think of. Now I am
absolutely
> stuck. Or am I wrong in thinking that my machine should be fast enough for
> that kind of application?
>
> I have included below all diagnostic output i could think of; if you need
> more please ask.
>
> Thank you very much for your help in advance
> Henning Schroeder

Yes, I too will thank you for your help in advance.  :)

Ryan Shrout
Owner - Amdmb.com
http://www.amdmb.com/
rshrout@stripped

Thread
Last try guys! What is with the Spawning processes??Ryan Shrout10 Oct
  • Re: Last try guys! What is with the Spawning processes??Dan Nelson10 Oct
  • Re: Last try guys! What is with the Spawning processes??Ryan Shrout10 Oct
    • Re: Last try guys! What is with the Spawning processes??Dan Nelson10 Oct
      • Re: Last try guys! What is with the Spawning processes??David Turner10 Oct
      • Re: Last try guys! What is with the Spawning processes??Jeremy Zawodny10 Oct
    • Re: Last try guys! What is with the Spawning processes??Michael Bacarella10 Oct
      • Re: Last try guys! What is with the Spawning processes??Jeremy Zawodny10 Oct
  • Re: Last try guys! What is with the Spawning processes??Fournier Jocelyn [Presence-PC]10 Oct