List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Boyd Lynn Gerber Date:October 5 2001 9:59pm
Subject:RE: Bizarre query performance
View as plain text
On Fri, 5 Oct 2001, Philip Brown wrote:
> > How is your DNS, WINS,... setup?  SCO/Caldera UNIX can use DNS when you do
> > not think it will.  Most SCO/Caldera tcp what ever will do a forward and
> > reverse DNS look-up.  I can add entries in the MS machines in the hosts
> > file location MS OS/install dependent and very times.
>
> All machines have hard-wired IP addresses (only 3 on the test network)
> and all machine names entered in /etc/hosts.

I ran a few quick tests from a few of my machines and looked at the what
was being transfered.

For example NT 4.0,

C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
DNS, WINS, ODBC, no ODBC

I guess what I am trying to say is I could get results that did not make
sense from MS OS to MS OS depending on OS, ODBC, configuration, patches...
Even if I had everything set the same they they did not seem to be
constistent.  Sniffing to see that what was sent was really the same was
the only way.

To make things more uniform I set visionfs on my SCO/Caldera Unix Box be
the primary WINS server.  I have a local DNS for my test setup.  Make sure
every machine has it's own "hosts" file that is exactly the same.  Make
sure all MS of the same type are configured and patched the same.  Make
sure I have the same configuration for mysql clients, server's, make sure
database all have good index's,...

Then and only then can I get the same results from each MS OS, they do
very some between them.  Also check your network drivers and settings on
the SCO box.

I have seen some strange behavior because of HW, configuration,
routing,...  Not all ms OS's are the same.  I have seen some pretty
strange things with them.  I think you need to get out your sniffer and
look at what is really going on.  It may be just how MS does things from
one OS to another.  Then again it may not.  Till you know that things are
exactly the same, you never really know.

> All of these networking issues would affect general query performance.
> However it does not explain the erratic (yet reproducible) nature of how
> different queries perform badly, or well, depending.

That is what I thought till I got out a sniffer and looked at what was
really happening.  I was supprised to see the differences.  When they did
the same thing I got similar responses.  What do you see from your
programs on the server.  Do you see the same differences?

Good Luck,

--
Boyd Gerber <gerberb@stripped>
ZENEZ	3748 Valley Forge Road, Magna Utah  84044

Thread
Bizarre query performancePhilip Brown5 Oct
  • Re: Bizarre query performanceRussell Miller5 Oct
    • RE: Bizarre query performancePhilip Brown5 Oct
      • Re: Bizarre query performanceRussell Miller5 Oct
        • RE: Bizarre query performancePhilip Brown5 Oct
          • Re: Bizarre query performanceRussell Miller6 Oct
            • RE: Bizarre query performancePhilip Brown6 Oct
  • Re: Bizarre query performanceBoyd Lynn Gerber5 Oct
    • RE: Bizarre query performancePhilip Brown5 Oct
      • RE: Bizarre query performanceBoyd Lynn Gerber5 Oct
  • Re: Bizarre query performanceDan Nelson5 Oct
    • RE: Bizarre query performancePhilip Brown5 Oct
      • Re: Bizarre query performanceDan Nelson5 Oct
        • Re: Bizarre query performanceBoyd Lynn Gerber6 Oct
          • RE: Bizarre query performancePhilip Brown6 Oct
            • Re: Bizarre query performanceDan Nelson7 Oct
              • Preventing Nagle with mysql (was: Bizarre query performance)Philip Brown8 Oct
                • Re: Preventing Nagle with mysql (was: Bizarre query performance)Dan Nelson10 Oct
                  • Re: Preventing Nagle with mysql (was: Bizarre query performance)Sinisa Milivojevic10 Oct