List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:September 28 2001 1:53am
Subject:Re: Doing queries using field labels as criteria
View as plain text
At 9:20 AM +0300 9/27/01, Jari Mäkelä wrote:
>Is it possible to search with LIKE for a field name? I have database
>that has various data and the field names are named by the language
>it is aimed for.
>So can MySQL be used to search that field list for all fields having
>specific string in them and then selecting all data pertinent to the
>found fields?

You can't do it in pure SQL.  You could write a program that does

to get the table names, then

to get the column names for each table.  From that you can derive the
column names you want to search.

>jari Mäkelä
>Before posting, please check:
>   (the manual)
>           (the list archive)
>To request this thread, e-mail <mysql-thread86474@stripped>
>To unsubscribe, e-mail <>
>Trouble unsubscribing? Try:

Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Doing queries using field labels as criteriaJari Mäkelä27 Sep
  • Re: Doing queries using field labels as criteriaBenjamin Pflugmann27 Sep
  • Re: Doing queries using field labels as criteriaPaul DuBois28 Sep