List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:September 27 2001 10:16pm
Subject:Re: my.cnf questions
View as plain text
At 3:17 PM -0400 9/27/01, Shon Stephens wrote:
>I have a couple of sections in the my.cnf file
>
>[client]
>
>and
>
>[mysql]
>
>Is the [client] section for clients that connect to the server, and
>the [mysql] section for mysql sessions started locally? What about
>mysql interactive sessions that are executed from a remote system?
>Are those sessions governed by the servers local my.cnf or by the
>my.cnf on the host that executed the session. I think its going to
>be the host, but I want to double check.
>
>Thanks,
>Shon

The [client] section is for specifying options that apply to any
MySQL client program.  The [mysql] section is for options that apply only
to the mysql client specifically.  For example, the no-auto-rehash option
is understood only by mysql.  If you put it in the [client] section,
none of the other clients would understand it and they'd just print their
usage message.

You could also use the [mysql] section to specify options that are listed
in the [client] section but that you want to override for mysql.  But make
sure you list the [mysql] section second, because for an option that is
specified in multiple groups, the last-seen value is used.

Open files are read from the host on which a program is invoked.

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Thread