List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:July 28 1999 1:54pm
Subject:Re: mysql_shutdown : Symbol referencing errors
View as plain text
At 3:32 AM -0500 7/28/99, Julien CHATELLIER wrote:
>here is a little programm that i made jut to get used with mysql.
>
>#include <stdio.h>
>#include <mysql.h>
>
>MYSQL mysql;
>
>main(){
>mysql_shutdown (&mysql);
>}
>

>This is the error i get :
> gcc  -g -o insert insert.o -L/people/julien/mysql504/lib -lmysqlclient
>-lsocket -lnsl -lm
>undefined                       first referenced
> symbol                             in file
>mysql_shutdown                      insert.o
>i386ld fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to insert
>*** Error code 1 (bu21
>
>I have installed mysql on SCO OpenServer 5.0.4 and use the
>mysql-3_22_16a-gamma-pc-sco3_2v5_0_4-i586 version.
>
>What am I doing wrong ? Should I use a flags ?...
>I have seen throu the mailing list archive and the manual that problems can
>occur with gcc, but in this case, the problem is not at such a low level.
>At least, if you could give me a way to know the entry points of the
>libraries, I could see if I am including the good one.

Does /people/julien/mysql504/lib contain libmysqlclient.a?

Hm, this looks like the same problem April was having a while ago.
Wasn't that an SCO system, too?

Can you compile MySQL from source?  It may be the that libraries in
the binary distribution can't be used properly by your system.

By the way, I hope you realize that if you get your program linked,
it will crash as soon as you try to run it.  The mysql struct is never
initialized properly, and you haven't established a connection to the
server, so you can't tell it to shut down.

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Thread