List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Van Date:July 28 1999 2:05am
Subject:Re: the best way to back up...
View as plain text
sinisa@stripped wrote:

> Denis Voitenko writes:
>  > I am in a process of moving four databases from Access to MySQL. The Linux
>  > box that I am moving the database to has no backup device except a floppy
>  > drive :-) so I've been thinking about copying files nightly to a NT server
>  > that has a tape drive over SMB. Now, which files would I need to backup? Do
>  > I mysqldump the databases before I back them up?
>  >
>  > Denis Voitenko
>  > denis@stripped
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  >

> Try to run mysqldump (with -e and -q options at least) through gzip
> stream to the tape.
>
> I never heard that tape devices can be exported by Windoze .......
>
> There are other methods.
>
> Sinisa
Another thought:  Hook up to the MySQL dbase through ODBC from the NT
box via Access, do a mysqldump, and use WinAT to backup up the Access
DBase.  Not very elegant, but, in lieiu of a UNIX solution, this should
provide something somewhat adequate. I'm currently replicating MySQL to
MSSQL 6.5 over ODBC to an NT Server that backups to Tape.  Much cleaner,
but, Access should suffice.
Regards,
Van
Linux rocks!!!   http://www.dedserius.com
the best way to back up...Denis Voitenko28 Jul
  • the best way to back up...sinisa28 Jul
  • Re: the best way to back up...Van28 Jul
    • Re: the best way to back up...sinisa28 Jul
RE: the best way to back up...John Foley28 Jul
  • RE: the best way to back up...sinisa28 Jul
RE: the best way to back up...Van31 Jul
  • Re: the best way to back up...Sasha Pachev31 Jul
    • Re: the best way to back up...Darrell Shifflett31 Jul
      • Re: the best way to back up...Denis Voitenko31 Jul